Saturday, October 5, 2013

Oven Roasted Butternut Squash




This past July my mother asked me if I was interested in some zucchini and squash from the garden of her girlfriend, Paulette. Of course, I replied. Loving food as I do, I could not think of anything better than receiving vegetables grown by a family friend in her garden. Needless to say, my mind drifted off to thinking of all the wonderful things I would make with zucchini and summer/crookneck squash.

My bubble burst when my mother arrived and I discovered the squash turned out to be butternut squash.

Yes, butternut squash.

While I realize local grown butternut squash in July in New England is probably not unusual, this was completely unexpected.

After mulling over what to do, I decided to try a variation of an oven roasted winter vegetable recipe introduced to me several years ago by my girlfriend, Marie. While I cannot remember all the vegetables she used, I found the butternut squash which was diced, cubed, seasoned with olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic and oven roasted until tender phenomeonal.

I've found this makes a great side dish for white fish (Cod, Haddock, Pollock). Reheat and toss with chickpeas, baby spinach and sun-dried tomatoes and it's makes a great, colorful salad.

Oven Roasted Butternut
Squash with pears, spinach,
and sun dried tomatoes


Oven Roasted Butternut Squash

8 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder

1. Place oven rack on middle rung. Preheat oven to broiler setting.

2. In a bowl, combine squash, olive oil, onion powder and garlic powder.

3. Line a large cookie sheet with aluminum foil, tucking in ends.

4. Place squash on cookie sheet, close together but no higher than one layer deep.

5. Place squash in oven on middle rack. Cook for 7 – 13 minutes or until largest pieces of squash are easily split with fork. Serve or cool and store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as many times as needed.

1 comment: